FictionZeal

The Beauty of the End
Debbie Howells

from FictionZeal.com re: In The Dark by Chris Patchell

In the Dark - Chris Patchell

Is there anything worse than being abducted by a killer?  For Brooke Parker, it is.  She’s diabetic, dependent upon insulin.  If he doesn’t kill her, the lack of insulin will.  She has one pen with her … make it last.  Of course, Marissa Rooney, Brooke’s mother, is burdened with worry for Brooke and runs out of her office to pursue the search a search for her daughter.  She ends up losing her job.  But, karma was on her side, at least on the job front.  She was rehired nearly immediately by Elizabeth Holt who wanted to begin a new foundation of which the purpose would be to help victims of violent crimes and their families.  The first case?  Brooke Parker.

However, time keeps slipping away.  It becomes a horrendous nightmare for Marissa as the police seem to have very little in the way of leads.  Detective Seth Crawford finds a mutilated body in the trunk of the suspect’s car … along with the MedicAlert tags that Brooke wore around her neck.  He had to ask Marissa to ID the body.  Was it Brooke?

This is an excruciatingly real look at what it must be like from the version of the victim as well as the victim’s family.  This book definitely grips the reader’s attention.  You won’t want to put it down until you reach the last page.  There are many twists and turns in this mystery and every one of them further grabbed my attention and made me want to know more.  Reading between the lines, I expected romance to blossom between Marissa and Seth.  However, at the time it happened, I felt it was a bit displaced.  I’m not sure a mother who is actively looking for her abducted daughter can even fathom a sexual encounter.  Even still the story line was strong and I could easily see this developing into a series as the foundation continues to help families who are victims of violence.  I’d certainly welcome reading a new case handled by the agency.  Rating: 4 out of 5.