FictionZeal

The Beauty of the End
Debbie Howells

from FictionZeal.com re: The Feathered Bone by Julie Cantrell

The Feathered Bone - Julie Cantrell

It’s a well-supervised sixth grade field trip to New Orleans.  What can possibly go wrong?  Amanda Salassi and Beth have been friends for many years.  Well heck, their girls were even born on the same day twelve years ago, and acted more like identical twins than friends.  Beth had to leave the field trip early knowing full well that Amanda would keep an eye out for both kids.  Ellie and Sarah stayed closely together, even suggesting to Amada that she was being a helicopter mom.  So as the bus was about to depart, Amanda left them in line for the bathroom and went to help the teacher get food for the kids.  Then, she went to the bus where Mrs. Henderson was busy counting heads.  One short.  Her daughter was sitting without her buddy.  What happened?  Where was Sarah?  The next few days, weeks, months, and even years turned into a living nightmare.

This novel is also historical fiction as it spans about two years prior to the Hurricane Katrina catastrophe and several years after.  We know early on that Sarah is still alive as she writes a journal to a sparrow that tends to frequent where she is being held, but where is she and who is keeping her captive?  This story takes us on an emotional roller coaster.  While the reader may even feel like they want to help in the search, they can do no more than watch from the sidelines as the characters go from guilt; despair; and even marital disharmony.  I rather enjoyed this story and the major twist the author employed.  I also loved how faith played a big part for the characters.  I did, however, feel the novel could have been tighter as some sideline issues were extensive.  Rating: 4 out of 5.