FictionZeal

The Beauty of the End
Debbie Howells

from FictionZeal.com re: Guilt by Degrees by Marcia Clark

Guilt by Degrees - Marcia Clark

Another DA working in Rachel Knight’s office didn’t care about the case of a murdered homeless man … a ‘John Doe.’  If Rachel, DA for Special Trials, hadn’t taken over the case, it would have been dismissed and no justice would have been obtained for the man.  As she begins investigating with the help of her legal partner, Toni LaCollier and Detective Bailey Keller, she finds that the man was Simon Bayer, the brother of Zack Bayer, an officer who’d been killed two years before.  The accused had been Bayer’s wife, Lilah, but she’d been released … not guilty.  Is the recent murder of Simon related to his brother’s death?  To find much-needed answers, they take to the LA streets and talk to others who are homeless that possibly knew Simon.  They must be getting close as the danger level increases.

Can anyone say ‘desensitized’?  The first chapter of this novel reminds us how many people have literally become desensitized to the deaths of others.  In this case, it is the homeless man.  He laid dying on the streets of LA for a couple of hours before authorities were called.  By that time, he was dead.  And so, this novel is very gripping and sadly real.  This is Marcia Clark’s second in her Rachel Knight series, following Guilt by Association.  As in the first book, I liked Rachel’s personality.  I enjoyed the mystery element of the story and watching the legal case unfold.  There did seem to be some unnecessary filler added, but my biggest annoyance was the issues that remained unresolved by the end.  Rating: 3.5 out of 5.