FictionZeal

The Beauty of the End
Debbie Howells

from FictionZeal.com re: Deadly Dunes (Mac McClellan) by E. Michael Helms

Deadly Dunes (A Mac Mcclellan Mystery) - E. Michael Helms

Mac and his girlfriend, Kate, are back at it in this third book of the Mac McClellan series.  Single mom, Jessie, hires him to investigate her archaeologist brother’s death.  She didn’t believe it was suicide as the authorities suggested.  He had too much to live for.  Then Jessie is killed in an accident.  It all seems a little too coincidental to Mac.  Before she died, Jessie had managed to get a lot of information to Mac about Jacob’s findings.  But what does he do now without a paying client?  Move forward, of course.

Jacob had managed to find an antiquated map believed to be drawn during the exploration of Hernando de Soto and his men in the sixteenth century.  It pointed to a current place of Five Mile Island on the coast of Florida.  In present day, the place just happens to be where a brand new resort is scheduled to be built.  Big money and powerful companies do not welcome any hindrance to their profitmaking resort.

This was an engrossing novel with many thrilling twists.  However, I’m a stickler for ‘real’ or plausible situations within fiction.  Unless I missed it, there was no indicator of how Jacob had obtained the map.  I know he’s an archeologist, but a little more detail into how he managed to come upon a sixteenth century map would have more fully fleshed out part of this novel’s plot.  I did enjoy the characters, especially the banter between Mac and Kate.  The dialogue was wonderful even by the secondary characters.  This is the third in the Mac McClellan series.  He was introduced to us in Deadly Catch as a former US Marine.  In Deadly Ruse, he became a PI working for Frank Hightower of Hightower Investigations. Rating: 4 out of 5.