FictionZeal

The Beauty of the End
Debbie Howells

from FictionZeal.com re: Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge by Ovidia Yu

Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge: A Singaporean Mystery - Ovidia Yu

I liked the character of Aunty Lee.  She’s like one of those family members you have the utmost respect for, but at the same time, she has the ability to embarrass you beyond belief.  She’s quite a bit on the nosy side, and therefore, makes the perfect amateur sleuth.  She’s the proprietor for Aunty Lee’s Delights, a café in Singapore.  The animal rescue society regularly meets there.  While they’re busy discussing the return of Allison Fitzgerald, known by the society as the ‘puppy killer’, they receive word that Allison has been killed.  When her sister, Vallerie, arrived to discuss the lawsuit Allison has against the society, she was still unaware of her sister death.  Unable and unwilling to go back to the hotel where her sister was murdered, Vallerie allows Aunty Lee to coax her into staying at her home while the crime is being investigated.

This is the third Aunty Lee light cozy mystery, but the first one I’ve read.  I felt the mystery element stood well on its own.  Aunty Lee is a remarkably clever character.  I didn’t really feel as if I got to know the other main characters.  Readers who have read the first and second book in the series may be more knowledgeable about them.  The pacing and flow of the story were effective in keeping the attention of the reader.  I enjoyed that some of their words were translated for us within the text.  For example, ‘kaypoh’ means ‘busybody’.  Rating: 3 out of 5.